Content of Debian 3.1r0a

Is this a bug? I am certainly concerned about it. I am installing
Deian 3.1r0a on a desktop with no internet access so I got the 14-CD
set. The first thing I look for is emacs but it is not there. The
reference document says that emacs is not really an application but
part of the infrastructure and is classified 'standard'. All I have is
a directory /etc/emacs but not emacs itself. apt-cache search emacs
and apt-cache search emacs21 give me a list of stuff that depends on
emacs but not the thing itself. This can't be right surely? If I am
right should I report it or is it now too late to change anyway?

Regards

Tony Sumner