Volumn control

Hey,

I'm using Debian Sarge on my Dell Inspiron 2200 laptop. For GUI I'm using KDE.
I'm encountering the following problems. If any of you could help, I
would really appreciate it?

1)  I could not control the audio volumn while I'm using XMMS to play
my mp3 music. When I try to do this I got the following warning:
############
** WARNING **: oss_set_volume(): Failed to open mixer device
(/dev/mixer): Permission denied
############
here is the permission details:(xxxx has already the member of "root" group.)
############
xxxx@xxx:~/Mail$ ls -al /dev/mixer
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 11 2006-05-10 23:31 /dev/mixer -> /dev/mixer0

2) How to mount to my usb devices? I have a DVD/VCD reader. How can I
play my DVD/VCDs please? Under windows It is really very easy for this
kind of stuff but under Linux, I'm totally lost.

3) How can I shut the GUI system and go to text console or how to make
my laptop boot up into text console instead of GUI?

Thx a lot in advance!

Rocky