Re: Firestarter not starting

On Sat, May 20, 2006 at 09:10:16AM -0300, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have the same problem in Sarge...
>
> On Fri, 2006-05-19 at 19:50 +0100, John Talbut wrote:
> > When my computer boots I get the
> >
> > Starting the Firestarter firewall: failed
> >
> > Message.  This comes after the asdl and ppp routines have started.  The
> > ppp link does not get established immediately.  I can start Firestarter
> > ok by starting the GUI interface (using the root password).  It is
> > configured to start the firewall on dial out, but this does not seem to
> > make any difference.
> >
> > How can I get Firestarter to start automatically?
> >
> > I am using Debian Etch.

I apologize if you've already looked at this and it didn't help but see
http://www.fs-security.com/docs/persistence.php
at the bottom it states:

Dial-up Issues

The firewall must be started after you have established your connection
to your ISP. In the Firestarter wizard there is an option to
automatically start the firewall on dial-out. This option does not work
with some dialers. For example, if you are using the kppp dialer
application you will have to set up the dialer to start the firewall
after a connection is established. Kppp includes an option to launch
scripts when a connection is established which does the job nicely.

From that I would think you'd need to setup sudo for firestarter to be
started without a password and if using kppp, have kppp execute
'sudo /usr/sbin/firestarter --start-hidden' once the ppp link is established.

The "--start-hidden" makes firestarter start minimized to the tray.

An example sudoers file:

User_Alias	DIALERS = username1, username2
DIALERS	ALL=NOPASSWD:/usr/sbin/firestarter

See the sudoers man page for more on how to configure sudo.

I use KDE so I don't know about other dialer programs but I imagine
there would be someway to execute sudo firestarter from them as well.

--
Ken Wahl