Re: best way to secure communication?

On 5/18/06, lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 03:42:48PM -0700, Kelly Clowers wrote:
> On 5/17/06, lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >what's the best way to secure IM-like communication? One way I could
>
> For real end-to-end security some Jabber clients support GPG. See
> these documents for more info:
>
> http://www.gnupg.org/(en)/related_software/frontends.html#chat
>
> http://psi-im.org/wiki/Encryption

Thanks! I'm into end-to-end security. Can a gabber client connect
directly to another gabber client and then both of them encrypt
whatever is to be transfered with gpg?

Or would I run a jabber server and have both clients connect via the
server?

Hm, I'll start with installing gabber and see what I can find out from
there.

Jabber is client-server (except for things like Jingle audio and file
transfer, which can be p2p after initial setup), so you could run your
own server or use a third party server (which would see addressing
info, etc. but would not see the contents of the message).

If you want to run your own server, ejabberd is supposed to be
easy to set up. Wildfire is also well regarded.

Cheers,
Kelly