Re: Making CD to be read on Windows

On 5/18/06, Anthony Campbell <ac@acampbell.org.uk> wrote:
I've made a CD containing data (html and jpg files) which works fine
here but causes problems on Windows machines (surprise surprise!). The
browser (presumably IE) keeps saying "Page not found".

I think this may be something to do with filename length. I have an idea
that the answer may be to make the CD with the -J switch. Can anyone
confirm this? I really DON'T want to have to rename all the files,
especially if that isn't the problem!

Here's my standard procedure for making a data CD:
$ mkisofs -o image.iso -J -r <directory>
$ cdrecord -v dev=ATAPI:/dev/cdrom image.iso
This has always worked on both Linux and Windows, and the "-r" should
make it work on a Mac as well.  At least I *think* Mac is the platform
that needs Rock Ridge extensions.

If <directory> has an autorun.inf file with the following contents
then Windows will automatically start the browser pointing at
index.html, assuming that auto-run is enabled.  Presumably, any
recognized file extension should be launched appropriately.

Michael A. Marsh