script / package for ripping cds

I rip my CDs onto my harddrive using a bespoke perl script invoking cdparanoia & cddb but I've hit a wall because I want to tailor the script more and I don't know perl. My issue is with CDs with various artists. The script fetches the entry from CDDB and unfortunately only has the artist name as part of the song title, so my script puts the resulting OGG file into the Various Artists directory, labels the file starting with Various Artists and gets the ID3 tags wrong as well. I'd like my ripper script to recognise that there are multiple artists and to write out the directory, file name and ID3 tag fields using the artist's name.
I see there are several ripping scripts and apps in the debian package repository such as crip and cwcdr - can anyone recommend one?

Thanks
Adam