Re: switching from apt-get to aptitude

On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 10:04:40AM +0100, Chris Lale wrote:
>Clive Menzies wrote:
>
>>[ ... ]
>>
>>The problem with mixing aptitude with apt is that aptitude will
>>sometimes threaten to remove packages it thinks are dependencies becuase
>>it wasn't used to install
>>[ ... ]
>>
>This is because aptitude labels packages as either automatically installed or
>manually  installed. If you have installed some packages using eg apt-get, you
>should be able to mark all installed packages as manually installed before
>using aptitude. The command from the man page is
>
>   aptitude unmarkauto
>
>Unfortunately, I do not know which argument to supply.
>
>   # aptitude unmarkauto *
>
>seems to look at every file in the current directory, not just packages. Has
>anyone got a solution?

 # aptitude unmarkauto --schedule-only '~i'

Install aptitude-doc and take a look at
file:///usr/share/doc/aptitude/html/en/ch02s03.html

I personally want the bare minimum of packages to be installed
'unmarkauto'. Since I moved from debfoster to aptitude I had resonably
short list of top-level packages (i.e. packages that aren't depends or
recommends of another installed package). I started out with marking
*all* packages auto and then toggling the packages on the list. Somehow
that didn't quite do it, but I had shortened the list of packages to
deal with manually to less than 10, definately doable. If you don't have
that list there'll be more work to be done, but I'm sure that something
clever can be done by limiting the package view.

/M

magnus@therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

And a government of the people, by the people and for the people will
not enact laws that support DRM in any way.
     -- Richard M. Stallman on DCMA and DRM, ANU talk