Re: Balancing load between multiple gateways

On Thu, 2006-05-18 at 10:10 +0200, Hans du Plooy wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I just want to see if I'm barking up the right tree.  I have to set up a
> gateway that will connect a large number of clients to the internet.
> The plan is to have two DSL lines, balance load between them, and add
> more lines as it becomes necessary.
>
> Linux Virtual Server http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/ looks like it
> does what I'm looking for, although it seems to be focussed on traffic
> going the opposite direction.  Is this the right tool for the job?

linux virtual server is more about having multiple routers handle
load/failover for services. and is not realy what you are after

what i think you ask about is
having a router (for your lan) handle multiple uplinks for loadbalancing
and failover.

basicaly you need to split access your gw.
that means you have 2 routing tables. 1 for each uplink.

then you configure the master routing table to be a multipath route to
both routing tables. giving you per connection load balancing out your
uplinks.

adding more uplinks is a matter of adding a interface a new routing
table for that interface and adding a 3rd route to to your multipath
master default gateway

this is what you want.
http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.rpdb.multiple-links.html

this is the split access part in a debian networks file fashion.
http://yellowpigs.net/computers/multiple_subnets
note that the  gateway $gw1 in teh eth0 stanca. would couse this to use
eth0 out allways. you want to replace that with the multipath route for
loadbalancing.

--
Ronny Aasen <list@datapart-as.no>