Re: alsaconf locks up my system

On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 06:18:54PM -0500, Russ Cook wrote:

> After killing gdm, I can run alsaconf and it executes fine.  After
> restarting gdm, xmms again cannot run.  I ran alsaconf from an
> xterm, and the X system locked up again.  Now I have to find out
> which process is hung up, if possible.

I haven't followed this thread, so...

do you have esd running? gdm usually brings it up I think and it would
conflict with alsaconf running -- usually there is a warning that you
have soudn processes running. so when you leave gdm, esd gets killed
and alsaconf works, then you go back in and esd reappears, hogs up the
audio device and xmms stops working.

just a thought.