Re: alsaconf locks up my system

Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Sun, May 14, 2006 at 13:32:31 -0500, Russ Cook wrote:
I'm running a A8N32-SLI Deluxe, with dual core amd64.  My kernel
is 2.6.16-1-amd64-k8-smp.  I also run kernel 2.6.14.4.  With either
kernel, I have no audio.  I used to have audio until about a week
ago, after running apt-get upgrade.  I'm running the 64 bit dist,
unstable.  When trying to run XMMS or any other audio or video
player, I get no audio.  XMMS tells me it couldn't open audio, and
request I check soundcard configured, correct output plugin selected,
and no other program is blocking the soundcard.

In the past, I could get past this problem by re-running alsaconf.
Now however, alsaconf never completes before my X system freezes
up.  I can still access my system from another machine using ssh,
but all output to the screen is frozen, and the keyboard is unresponsive. The mouse pointer still moves across
the screen, but nothing responds.

Has anyone else had this problem, and can anyone offer hints or
suggestions as to the cause and cure?

I would try to shut down X and run alsaconf from a virtual terminal. If
this still locks up your machine you can log in with ssh and check which
process is blocking the CPU with the "top" command. It would then also
be interesting if killing that process unlocks the computer or not.
Another thing to try is "/etc/init.d/alsa force-reload".

If alsaconf works when run from the terminal you can use a simple
application such as "speaker-test" to check your sound. If this is
successful you can try if it still works when you start X again. This
should help you to isolate the cause of the problem.

Another problem - I used to be able to access a virtual terminal by pressing ctl-alt-f2. This key sequence no longer works. I'm running
gnome.  How can I temporarily disable X so I can run alsaconf from
a virtual terminal?