Newbie Troubles with Debian

Greetings. I am an old hardware engineer with many years of working on systems hardware. I recently decided to switch to Linux, and so began a search for a desktop replacement. My experience has been frustrating, and I wanted to ask advice.

I Can can run live, from Knoppix and Puppy. I like Knoppix and even installed it to hard drive and played with it for a day. I see there is little support from the broader Linux community, so decided to install the full Debian. I have done the net install now, 3 different times. Each time, I get the system running, but no video to the graphical desktop. I am using a Gateway with Intel 810 internal video. I switched to an ATI video card, and installed it a second time, still no luck. I then edited the Xxxxx (forgive me, but my memory failes me here) file which is the config for the X-windows and was able to confirm first it chose VESA for the video, second time, it chose ATI, and I even edited it to try the standard VGA driver.

Can you point me to a beginner help, or know anyone who might be a mentor for a beginner user? This is not so much a bug report as it is an install quirk. Thank you for any help.