an ssh auth. question++

Cheers to you all!

I just had a topic on another forum and there was suggested ,that the root ssh authentification to a server could be restricted due to a better security level,so my question is:
what is better to be used::
a root authentification to a remote server over ssh or just a user authentifaction to this very server+ #su root and then authentificate the root access?
---
What i'm wondering about , is:i'm sending in both arts of connection the root password over ssh2 via TCP/IP , so what is the disadvantage of the first method to the second one... Let's say the second one makes the situation ,an intruder needs to know at least one more account ,which is aware of the root password,so the intruder needs in fact at least two accounts:the 'aware' user's one and the root one;could it be , that such method will be better in regarding ssh account scan attachs like bruteforce and so on.... what is the best way :iptables scrips and so on ,for blocking active ssh account scans?I know about : DenyHosts script, Daemon Shield, Fail2ban, pam_abl, sshblack,perhaps also to move ssh authentifying to another port different than 22 ,let's say 35814...what else could be good or better as a security suggestion? Ok,and last one : should it be that a cryptic key athentification is really more reliable than the normal ssh console authentification...
Thanks in advance!

krassen

--
----