Re: cannot play some videos in mozilla mplayer

H.S. wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am not able to play videos from sites in Mozilla using the
> mozilla-mplayer plugin. As an example, CNN site's videos do not play. On
> the other hand, I can play all the vidoes in Google Video and UTube. I
> am wondering, is the problem with the remote web site or is it my Debian
> Etch? Is someone else able to play videos from CNN's website?
>
> On CNN's website (not a huge fan of CNN btw), a new window opens and
> mplayer plugin starts and gives messages regarding 'download' etc, and
> then it just stops and does nothing. No controls are shown. Only
> "Connected" is shown at the top where the mplayer messages appear.
>
> I have:
> $> dpkg -l *mplayer* | grep ^ii
> ii  mozilla-mplayer   3.21-1                  MPlayer-Plugin for Mozilla
> ii  mplayer           1.0-pre7cvs20060325-0.3 The Ultimate Movie Player
> For Linux
> ii  mplayer-skin-blue 1.5-0.5                 default skin for mplayer
>
> $> dpkg -l *mozilla* | grep ^ii | gawk '{print $2 "\t" $3}'
> flashplayer-mozilla     7.0.63.0-0.0
> mozilla-browser 1.7.12-1.1
> mozilla-calendar        1.7.12-1.1
> mozilla-cascades        0.4.0-2
> mozilla-dom-inspector   1.7.12-1.1
> mozilla-enigmail        0.93-1
> mozilla-firebird        0.8-12
> mozilla-firefox 1.5.dfsg+1.5.0.3-2
> mozilla-firefox-dom-inspector   1.5.dfsg+1.5.0.3-2
> mozilla-firefox-gnome-support   1.5.dfsg+1.5.0.3-2
> mozilla-firefox-locale-pa-in    1.5.0.1lang20060327-1
> mozilla-mailnews        1.7.12-1.1
> mozilla-mplayer 3.21-1
> mozilla-psm     1.7.12-1.1
> mozilla-thunderbird     1.0.7-3
> mozilla-thunderbird-enigmail    0.93-1
> mozilla-thunderbird-offline     1.0.7-3
>

> thanks,
> ->HS
Hi H.S.,
I don't like CNN even a little but for a debian lister member we must make
sacrifices. Just like cats who have an instinct to go to people who don't
like cats, CNN videos work fine. I click on a video on their homepage and a
popup appears telling me to upgrade my windows media player as it cannot
detect the player of my system (surprise, surprise). I disdainfully ignore
this and click on continue with video and it plays, nice quality too.
I'm running Etch 2.6.15 with Firefox 1.5.0.3.
You want to type "about:plugins" (w/o quotes) in the Firefox navigation bar
and check what plugins you have installed. I've got:
    mplayerplug-in-wmp.so
    mplayerplug-in 3.25

    mplayerplug-in.so
    mplayerplug-in 3.25
for the media player stuff and they seem to work. I didn't use the debian
packages but just downloaded the lastest version from the mplayer plugin
site and compiled it myself.
Anyway, both CNN and BBC videos work fine with this setup.
Cheers,
Jonathan