Re: Problem booting anfter reinstall...

Bob,

I've been working with a couple of SCSI based systems recently, with the testing release (etch). Possible issues could be: are your SCSI disks on one host bus adapter; do you have any USB (or other interfaces) that set up SCSI emulation mode, and if so, do you have any devices actually attached; which boot loader are you using?

If you have two HBA's, you might consider turning off the BIOS on the one without the boot disk. This might be all you need to do.

If you have SCSI emulation happening, and you're using grub, things get more complex. First off, you will need to drop into grub's command mode during boot, use its 'find' command locate a file you know exists on your root disk and determine what grub thinks the disk number is. This may not be the same as what grub thinks the disk is when the system is up and running (as during the install). If it's different, you'll need to edit the 'root (hd#,#)' to match, both in the current grub environment and in the menu.lst file after you manage to get booted.

I don't use LILO, so don't know what, if anything, needs to done with it.

The above is quite terse, when it comes to instructions. I hope it helps you get started.

Bob McGowan

Bob wrote:
I've got a box that was running Sarge, but I wanted to upgrade it to
Etch. apt-get dist-upgrade failed due to lack of disk space, so I
decided to do a complete reinstall from a netinst CD.

While I was at it I bunged a couple of 18Gb SCSI drives into the machine
to go along with the existing 36Gb one. The install seemed to go okay
(apart from needing a degree in brain surgery to understand LVM, which
I ended up not bothering with), but the machine has now hung upon the
post install restart.

There is a load of stuff on the screen about attaching SCSI drives and
the final message says "Attached scsi disk sdc". Then nothing. I tried
a complete reinstall again, but the same thing has happened.

I'm a complete dunce when it comes to this, I've never installed Debian
on a machine with more than one disk, so I don't know where to begin
to look for the problem.

Can anyone point me in the right direction...?

Thanks,