Re: Debian for AMD64

On (09/05/06 16:39), David A. Parker wrote:
> >Been running Sarge for a year on a genuine AMD Opteron. Have Debian
> >unstable on several Opterons, a dual Xeon and Pentium D. The Pentium D
> >"feels" faster but may have a faster clock speed / dynamically faster
> >memory / peripherals. Not been running these for very long at all - but
> >no obvious problems.
> >
> >AMD64 - no problem :) The caveat is what level of package churn you can
> >tolerate - unstable moves very quickly, testing less so, stable hardly
> >at all. Pick one and stick with it :)
> >
> >Andy
>
> Thanks for the info!  That leads me to my next question...
>
> Have most packages been ported to the amd64 architecture, or is there a
> limited selection?  I found the amd64 "testing" version here:
>
> http://amd64.debian.net/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-amd64/beta2/images/
>
> But I wasn't sure if most packages had been ported to use the 64-bit OS.

I run sid amd64 but I guess the issues are similar.  Openoffice runs in
a 32bit chroot as does Firefox (if you want flash capability).  There
are unofficial OOo ports for amd64 but I haven't tried them. see:

https://alioth.debian.org/docman/view.php/30192/21/debian-amd64-howto.html#id220463

Regards

Clive

--