Re: Debian for AMD64

On Tue, May 09, 2006 at 03:35:16PM -0400, David A. Parker wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was just wondering if anyone has used the AMD64 testing version of
> Debian on a 64-bit Pentium D processor, and if there was any word on how
> stable it is?  I may be getting a new PC here at work with a Pentium D
> in it, but if I don't run 64-bit Debian on it, I might as well stick
> with my 32-bit P4 that's working just fine.

Been running Sarge for a year on a genuine AMD Opteron. Have Debian
unstable on several Opterons, a dual Xeon and Pentium D. The Pentium D
"feels" faster but may have a faster clock speed / dynamically faster
memory / peripherals. Not been running these for very long at all - but
no obvious problems.

AMD64 - no problem :) The caveat is what level of package churn you can
tolerate - unstable moves very quickly, testing less so, stable hardly
at all. Pick one and stick with it :)

Andy