Re: Kernel Modules

On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 10:28:54AM -0700, Account for Debian group mail wrote:

> I'm in the process of upgrading some very old machines. I'd like to know
> where I can find out on 2.4 kernels which modules are included included
> in the Debian kernel-images. My concern is that these machine are still
> running on arc net (I know, I know, but they are just term servers) with
> Novell cards in them and I don't want to upgrade them and have to manually
> rebuild kernels.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ken

A copy of the config file that was used to build the Debian kernel image
can be found in /boot in a file whose name matches 'config*'. There can
be several such files. Choose the one matching the version number of the
kernel that is actually being used, and not some other left-over from
poor house keeping of a previous owner.

Look also at the Debian package 'kernel-package'. It is specifically
designed to help create a Debian policy compliant kernel-image
package. (Which, among other things, places a copy of the config file
in /boot when the packaged kernel is installed.) Read the man page for
'make-kpkg' which is installed by 'kernel-package'. You may decide
that building new kernels for these machines is not so awful a task.
Of course, avoid a rebuild if you can, but know that a 'manual'
rebuild is not necessary.

HTH
--
Paul E Condon