Re: I/O error on partitoning drive

On Sun, May 07, 2006 at 03:20:40PM -0400, Ken Leavitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a relative newbie attempting to reinstall debian on a 160 Gb slave hdb.
> I have WinXP running on my 40 Gb hda master and I wish to have dual boot
> capabilities when I'm done. I have been successful in the past at getting
> the system to reinstall after discovering a screwup in my system
> configuration, but this time when I attempt to reinstall the OS, it goes off
> into never-never land and gives me the following error message:
> "Input/output error during read on /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/disc."
> Even though I attempt to cancel the partitioning process, the system
> continues hangs and I am forced to reboot. I have tried using the defaults
> for all one partition and for multi-partition and get the same results. My
> 40 Gb hda (C:) seems to be working fine running WinXP. Could this just be a
> fault on the CD or something more serious? Any help would be most
> appreciated.
>
> Ken

My guess would be that you have a hardware problem, but an easy way to
check would be to try formatting it under your XP system.

If that fails, on most systems you can enter the bios and check to see what
IDE disks are detected, and see if the capacity and other values look sensible.

Regards,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com