Re: swap and /tmp

Please correct me if I'm wrong:

About 2 years ago I started reading up about Linux when I was first decided whether to try it, and which distro to use. I took about a year before I finally installed Debian last May.

During that time I remember reading that some programs that write to CDs or DVDs were caching data in /tmp before burning. It seems like using tmpfs for /tmp under that kind of scenario would be a real problem. My old box would probably roll over and die, and my newer one probably would if a DVD image was being built in /tmp.

That info is, admittedly, out of date... but I would want to take a serious look into such things before putting /tmp on a tmpfs!

Dave W.