Re: swap and /tmp

On 04.05.06 00:50, Digby Tarvin wrote:
> What puzzles me is that this option is not better documented. The installer
> for my BSD system makes you explicitly decline during the install process
> if you don't want it.

It's not very common, although I think it should be...

> > The only problem is/was either virtual memory limitation or limitation of
> > /tmp partition. However, with 128MB of /tmp I don't have problems.
> > (Last time a problem happened when I downloaded more video files,
> > temporarily stored to /tmp)

> I recently had a problem downloading an ISO image using netscape on a
> SuSE system because it insisted on downloading initially to /tmp
> regardless of the ultimate final destination - and my 512MB was not
> quite big enough to hold it, resulting in several irritating last
> minute aborts...

This is a documented and "popular" bug in mozilla *

> > I also use tmpfs for /var/lock and I've used is for /var/run until problems
> > raised with some debian packages expecting to have subdirs (with special
> > privileges) there. I filled up some bugreports and they were solved, but
> > they re-appeared a few times...
>
> It isn't obvious to me why these and any other repositories of volatile
> information that has no value after a reboot should not be put into
> directories created in /tmp...

/var/run is used for pid files, unix domain sockets, and some shared state
files (e.g. apache/proftpd scoreboard) but many of packages use
subdirectories in /var/run for such files (it's also encouraged by FHS) and
don't check/create them at start.

> Keeping a 'skeleton' directory in /var which is used to initialise the
> /tmp filesystem at boot time would be my suggested solution to that problem.

it's another possibility but you have to set up that skeleton after
installind each new package that uses such dir...

> > I am not sure if this is a problem now, iirc, Debian developers have now
> > expect volatile behaviour of /var/run
>
> Do you know what their solution was? I imagine it would be tedious to have
> to modify all applications to check for and dynamically create missing
> directories...

I don't remember exactly, I saw that info in archive...

> > > /tmp is volatile by definition.  See /etc/init.d/bootclean.sh on your
> > > Debian system.  Other distributions have similar mechanisms.
>
> It isn't volatile by default on my old SuSE system, and I don't think
> Gentoo was either. My BSD was the only other one I recall doing the
> auto temp cleaning by default.

I meant that "tmp" means "temporary" with whatever that means.

Microsoft dick is soft to do no harm