Re: AMD 64 on HP laptop

On Sat, May 06, 2006 at 07:18:08AM -0700, Freddy Freeloader wrote:
> hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:

> >>Maybe the 64 bit install has a problem with DMA; that can cost you a
> >>factor 10 in harddrive access times. You can check this with "hdparm".
> >>
> >>--
> >>Regards,
> >>         Florian
> >>

> >I had trouble with extreme sloth of an AMD64 install; using an
> >installer with a more recent kernel seemed to improve things.
> >I don't know what the problem was.  With the slow installer I never got
> >as far as running the system, though.  God it was *slow*!
> >
> >-- hendrik
> >

> Hendrik,
>
> I tried etch the first time I tried a pure 64 bit installation.  I
> didn't have any better luck with it than I did with sarge.   Glad to
> know it isn't just my machine that has problems with this though.   Just
> out of curiosity, what kernel did you use that worked?

The one in Len Sorenson's netinstall disk.

hendrik@april:~$ ls /boot
boot.0200                      initrd.img-2.6.12-1-amd64-generic
boot.0300                      map
coffee.bmp                     sarge.bmp
config-2.6.12-1-amd64-generic  sid.bmp
debian.bmp                     System.map-2.6.12-1-amd64-generic
debianlilo.bmp                 vmlinuz-2.6.12-1-amd64-generic
grub

hendrik@april:~$