Re: Firefox question about pop-up menus; (solved?) and a new annoyance

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 11:08:55AM -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:

> > >Thanks.
> > >I'd like to try this but so far as I know I've never succeeded at
> > >installing
> > >a mozilla add-on. I've failed again on this one. Where can I find
> > >instructions
> > >that don't assume that it 'just works'?
> > >
> > I just installed it for sarge from
> > http://readeasily.mozdev.org/installation.html
> >
> > You probably have to allow java and to set preferences > web features >
> > allow sites to install software
> > and add that url.
> >
> > Worked for me.
> But not for me.

I got Read Easily to install by first doing
apt-get purge mozilla-firefox
rm -rf .mozilla
apt-get install mozilla firefox

Then the mozilla extension installer worked, *but* the new image of
firefox has a problem that is in its own internal configuration.  It
is most noticeable in the top line of buttons (File Edit View
...). When I click on any of these it becomes 'highlighted' by
changing the backgound from gray to white and the foreground lettering
from black to white. This strange form of highlighting also occurs for
each menu item as I move the cursor down the drop-down menu. This is
not a problem with style sheets in a brain dead web site. This seems
to be a feature of firefox as distributed by Debian and maybe firefox
from mozilla directly. I find white on white hard to read. Any ideas
greatfully accepted.

I'm running firefox under gnome. I can't find, in gnome, a way to adjust
the colors used for decorating windows. Is there such? It might help.
I know KDE has some control over window decoration colors, but I can't
use KDE because I want to use gnome-terminal and KDE steps on gnome-terminal
configuration. I would like also to adjust the color of highlighting of
desktop items in gnome. Currently, the highlighting seems to be black
lettering on a very dark blue background, also difficult to read. How to
adjust?

Any ideas?
TIA
--