Re: Firefox question about pop-up menus; (solved?) and a new annoyance

Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net> writes:

> Then the mozilla extension installer worked, *but* the new image of
> firefox has a problem that is in its own internal configuration.  It
> is most noticeable in the top line of buttons (File Edit View
> ...). When I click on any of these it becomes 'highlighted' by
> changing the backgound from gray to white and the foreground lettering
> from black to white.

This is a known problem with Firefox 1.0.x's interaction with Debian's
version of the Gnome "Simple" theme.  See the Debian bug:

It's fixed in Firefox 1.5 (and the above bug report includes a
backport of the fix), but that's of little help if you want to use the
official Debian package without compiling your own.

Fortunately, there is a reasonably straightforward workaround.  From
your Gnome menu, select "Applications -> Desktop Preferences ->
Themes", and pick just about any theme other than "Simple".  "Crux"
and "Default" look about the same as "Simple", and if I recall
correctly neither of them exhibits the problem.

--
Kevin <buhr+debian@asaurus.net>