Re: kernel upgrade message

On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 09:36:44PM -0400, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 06:32:42PM -0700, Christopher Nelson wrote:
> > On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 03:47:28PM -0700, kruton wrote:
> > > Debian Unstable, running 2.6.16-1-486 on i386
> > > platform.
> > >
> > > These days I get the following message from Debian
> > > Configuration when I 'apt-get upgrade'.. Any idea why
> > > its trying to install the same kernel image...
> >   <snip standard debconf message>
> >
> > It's updating the kernel image.  Often due to security/usability fixes.
> > It's not trying to do anything nasty, it's fairly standard, especially
> > on unstable.  You will, however, probably want to reboot soon as the
> > linux-image-<foo> packages are built with a lot of things as
> > modules, and you may not be able to load modules without rebooting.
>
> But if you use lilo, you had better make sure it gets rerun before you
> reboot, else the system will try to boot from where the old kernel was,
> and is no longer.
>
> I don't know what you have to do if you use grub.

If you installed the system with grub it puts in post-install hooks to
run update-grub.  (at least the etch installers post-february 2006 do, I
don't know about earlier)

I'm not sure how to put those hooks in if you didn't install with grub.
At any rate, I think all it does is rub 'update-grub', so if nothing
happens automatically that should do it.

Also, I think grub knows about filesystems and looks for the kernel that
way, so if the name of the kernel hasn't changed even that may be
unnecessary.

--
Christopher Nelson -- chris@cavein.org
  Generated by Signify v1.14.  For this and more, visit http://www.debian.org/