Non-breaking hyphen character in browsers

Hi,

I'm writing a Web-based application, and it makes use of the non-breaking
hyphen: ‑ . On my Gentoo box, it works fine. On Windows, either IE or
Firefox, it works fine. On Debian boxes, both etch and sarge, both Firefox
and Konqueror, the hex code is displayed instead of the glyph: 2011.

I've switched fonts, I've generated other locales, I've switched character
sets in the browser, I've switched the character set the page reports.
Everything gives exactly the same result.

As you can see, I don't really know what I'm doing here. Does anyone have any
idea where the problem most likely lies?