Re: [solved] Non-breaking hyphen character in browsers

On Thursday 04 May 2006 07:39 pm, Alexander Charbonnet wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm writing a Web-based application, and it makes use of the non-breaking
> hyphen: ‑ . On my Gentoo box, it works fine. On Windows, either IE or
> Firefox, it works fine. On Debian boxes, both etch and sarge, both Firefox
> and Konqueror, the hex code is displayed instead of the glyph: 2011.
>
> I've switched fonts, I've generated other locales, I've switched character
> sets in the browser, I've switched the character set the page reports.
> Everything gives exactly the same result.
>
> As you can see, I don't really know what I'm doing here. Does anyone have
> any idea where the problem most likely lies?

Got this solved; it was a font problem, not character set or locales.  In case
anyone has the same problem, this page:

http://wiki.splitbrain.org/debianfonts

was very helpful, and I discovered that all I needed to do to get the
non-breaking dash to display was to install the ttf-junicode package.