Re: ALERT! /dev/sda1 does not exist. Dropping to a shell...

This may be relevant to Debian too. I had (maybe still have) same
problem with Debian etch instalation on IBM xSeries 346. I beleive
this is a problem with initramfs-tools (there is a bug reported) and
this should be fixed in next initarmfstools version in testing.
After installation from daily build etch (a week ago) system wouldn't boot.
Workaround is to compile kernel with scsi and avoid using initrd, or
to use yaird for creating initrd image.