initrd-tools strange problem

So few minutes ago I upgraded some packages, includeing initrd-tools.
I was asked if I want to overwrite /etc/mkinitrd/mkinitrd.conf, and I
answered yes, since I didn't modify at all this file. Note that I
didn't install a new kernel

After that I rebooted, and when I isuued route the program freezes
before printing the default gw line, and I wasn't able to connect to
the Internet.

After that I reinstalled the kernel and everything now works ok.

I just posted this in case someone had the same problem, or if it can
be of interest for some developper.

PAolo

---
bugreport info just in case they can be useful

Package: initrd-tools
Version: 0.1.84.1
Severity: normal

-- System Information:
Debian Release: testing/unstable
 APT prefers testing
 APT policy: (800, 'testing'), (70, 'stable'), (60, 'unstable')
Architecture: i386 (i686)
Shell:  /bin/sh linked to /bin/bash
Kernel: Linux 2.6.16-1-k7
Locale: LANG=it_IT.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=it_IT.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)

Versions of packages initrd-tools depends on:
ii  coreutils [fileutils]         5.94-1     The GNU core utilities
ii  cpio                          2.6-11     GNU cpio -- a program to manage ar
ii  cramfsprogs                   1.1-6      Tools for CramFs (Compressed ROM F
ii  dash                          0.5.3-2    The Debian Almquist Shell
ii  util-linux                    2.12r-8    Miscellaneous system utilities

initrd-tools recommends no packages.

-- no debconf information