Re: etch udev not working with bttv capture card nor via82xx sound? WAS Re: upgrading gnome-desktop-environment broke via82xx sound

Hi,

According to that very document:

"Writing rules is not a workaround for the problem where no device nodes
for your particular device exist. If no matching rules exist, udev will
create the node anyway, using the name that was supplied by the kernel."

Note the kernel is the same and indeed sysfs does see my soundcard:

bbogart@insitu:~$ ls /sys/module/* | grep snd
/sys/module/snd:
/sys/module/snd_ac97_codec:
/sys/module/snd_mixer_oss:
/sys/module/snd_mpu401_uart:
/sys/module/snd_page_alloc:
/sys/module/snd_pcm:
/sys/module/snd_pcm_oss:
/sys/module/snd_rawmidi:
/sys/module/snd_seq:
/sys/module/snd_seq_device:
/sys/module/snd_seq_dummy:
/sys/module/snd_seq_midi:
/sys/module/snd_seq_midi_event:
/sys/module/snd_seq_oss:
/sys/module/snd_timer:
/sys/module/snd_via82xx:

And it also sees all three of my capture cards, not just the two that
udev creates nodes for:

/sys/module/bt878:
/sys/module/btcx_risc:
/sys/module/bttv:
/sys/module/cx8800:
/sys/module/cx88xx:

bbogart@insitu:/$ ls /sys/class/video4linux/* | grep video
/sys/class/video4linux/radio0:
/sys/class/video4linux/radio1:
/sys/class/video4linux/vbi0:
/sys/class/video4linux/vbi1:
/sys/class/video4linux/vbi2:
/sys/class/video4linux/video0:
/sys/class/video4linux/video1:
/sys/class/video4linux/video2:

Looks like writing rules just allows you to create aliases for devices
udev already creates nodes for.

I'm tempted to upgrade my udev to unstable, if this is a bug... but I'd
rather just magically make udev work. It is my understanding that udev
should create nodes for devices sysfs sees, so it would be a udev
problem rather than a sysfs or kernel issue??

Thanks.
.b.