Re: OT: Politics [Was:Social Contract]

Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Sunday 30 April 2006 10:57, Curt Howland wrote:
>
>>The public schools in the United States spend MORE THAN $10,000 (TEN
>>THOUSAND DOLLARS) per student EACH YEAR, EVERY YEAR, and it's only
>>going up.
>

> OK, now for some numbers based in reality.  My alma mater is Merlo Station
> Natural Resources Science and Technology High School.  It has the highest
> test scores out of all schools in Oregon (public, private, or the now
> practically dead charter schools[1]).  It is the worst funded school in the
> Beaverton School District,

You could have stopped right there.  The rest of your argument is no good:

- you state that school is the worst funded, that means absolutely
bottom of the barrel--all other schools in the district get *more*
- You go on to mention all the donations, did you factor their value in
the total?

> at just $4,800 per student per year.  I learned
> Algebra out of a book that predated the end of World War II and both my
> parents, but otherwise everything was fairly recent and new thanks to
> generous donations from our next-door neighbors:  Reeser's Fine Foods World
> Headquarters, Tektronix World Headquarters, Nike World Headquarters and
> Intel.
>

> [1] So far, Oregon's experience with charter schools has been 100% school
> administrators stealing money:  They charge tuition and draw public tax
> dollars for a few months or a school year until the administrators get busted
> for embezelment.

That's right.  Charter schools are about the same as defense
contractors.  That is, they are on the public dole.  That is why I am
vehemently against charter schools.  Private schools are the way to go.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto