Re: OT: Politics [Was:Social Contract]

On Sunday 30 April 2006 10:57, Curt Howland wrote:
> The public schools in the United States spend MORE THAN $10,000 (TEN
> THOUSAND DOLLARS) per student EACH YEAR, EVERY YEAR, and it's only
> going up.

OK, now for some numbers based in reality.  My alma mater is Merlo Station
Natural Resources Science and Technology High School.  It has the highest
test scores out of all schools in Oregon (public, private, or the now
practically dead charter schools[1]).  It is the worst funded school in the
Beaverton School District, at just $4,800 per student per year.  I learned
Algebra out of a book that predated the end of World War II and both my
parents, but otherwise everything was fairly recent and new thanks to
generous donations from our next-door neighbors:  Reeser's Fine Foods World
Headquarters, Tektronix World Headquarters, Nike World Headquarters and
Intel.

[1] So far, Oregon's experience with charter schools has been 100% school
administrators stealing money:  They charge tuition and draw public tax
dollars for a few months or a school year until the administrators get busted
for embezelment.

--
Paul Johnson
Jabber: Because it's time to move forward  http://ursine.ca/Ursine:Jabber