Re: OT: Politics [Was:Social Contract]

On Monday 01 May 2006 17:43, Curt Howland wrote:
> gpgkeys: HTTP fetch error 7: couldn't connect: eof
> On Monday 01 May 2006 16:30, Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca> was heard
>
> to say:
> > > All airports in the US are government owned.
> >
> > I suppose that's true if you're willing to say that the vast
> > majority of US airports don't exist.  Many television stations,
> > hospitals, police departments, etc. have airports that aren't
> > government owned.  So do many ranchers and aviation clubs.
>
> The helipad on top of a hospital qualifies as an "airport"?
>
> A dirt strip on a ranch qualifies as an "airport"?
>
> And do tell, how is a _police_ owned and operated helipad _not_
> government owned?

When they lease the space.  Many municipal police bureaus lease space in strip
malls and first floor of office towers for police stations.  Heck, East
Precinct, Washington County, OR's courthouse had been in a former convenience
store at a light-rail station for about 7 or 8 years.

> What is the source of your "vast majority" claim? I would like to see
> it.

Go to Airnav.com.  Anything with an airport designation is an airport as far
as the FAA is concerned.  Right off the top of my head, my first job outdoors
was almost  directly halfway between Hillsboro International Airport[1] and
Sunset Airstrip, a club-owned airfield.  On a calm day close to
fourth-of-July, you'd have jets inbound to Portland after circling
McMinneville, and various small prop planes from Sunset and Hillsboro, along
with small jets in and out of Hillsboro overhead all day.

[1] At the time Portland-Hillsboro Regional Airport...it hasn't really seen an
increase in traffic, they just got a port of entry for the corporate jet
arrivals and in case they have to land an international flight bound for
nearby Portland International, Hillsboro doesn't even have radar.

--
Paul Johnson
Jabber: Because it's time to move forward  http://ursine.ca/Ursine:Jabber