Re: Screen resolution

On Sunday 30 April 2006 11:41, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> Stephen Cormier writes:
> > Get out the manual/search online for the specifications for the
> > horizontal and
> > vertical refresh rates for the screen/monitor. Then use advanced when
> > reconfiguring and put in the values when asked, Debian always sets up the
> > refresh rates too low which stops you from getting the higher
> > resolutions.

I don't think refresh rates truly matter for the default resolution (at least
for "reasonable" resolutions). I know I can use any resolution up to
1280X1024 with the default refresh rate (around 60), though of course I still
need to activate these resolutions as they aren't offered by default.

> I don't know the horizontal and vertical refresh rates of my screen,
> I should search for them online. [...]
>  SZ:    Pixels          Physical       Refresh
> *0   1024 x 768    ( 260mm x 195mm )  *61
>  1    800 x 600    ( 260mm x 195mm )   73
>  2    640 x 480    ( 260mm x 195mm )   73

You may indeed wish to look up that information somewhere, unless you don't
really mind low refresh rates. 75 or 85 would be better, if your monitor can
handle them (it *should* be fine at 1024X768, but...). If you are using a LCD
display, I understand that low refresh rates aren't quite as bad as with CRT
screens.

> Thanks indeed,
> Rodolfo

You're welcome,