Re: OT: Politics [Was:Social Contract]

Paul Johnson wrote:
> Because society benefits from an educated public.  If you want to do away with
> public education, look to Mexico first:  Public education only covers through
> grade six there.

    Yes, it does.  Which, of course, has nothing to do with the public
education system here.  If it did then the politicians couldn't get away with
half the posturing they do when it comes to the latest fad crisis.  Gas
prices, anyone?

> For every school you don't build, you have to build two jails later on.  Which
> would you rather do?  Spend 12 years spending a kid through school on your
> tax dollars or 20+ years for housing thousands more violent criminals?

    Cite?  I mean I could always point to how wonderfully some public schools
do at turning out career criminals.

> Sure you can.  You can put your kids through private school anyway.

    And pay double.  See the problem here?