Re: OT: Politics [Was:Social Contract]

On Saturday 29 April 2006 18:43, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> Umm.  You do realize that not all private schools are Christian,
> correct?

Because society benefits from an educated public.  If you want to do away with
public education, look to Mexico first:  Public education only covers through
grade six there.

> Besides, why is it my job to *guarantee* that you can send your children
> to school for free?  If you can't afford to raise them, then don't have
> them.  Really, why should I pay taxes for education my entire life when
> kids only go to school for 12-16 years?

For every school you don't build, you have to build two jails later on.  Which
would you rather do?  Spend 12 years spending a kid through school on your
tax dollars or 20+ years for housing thousands more violent criminals?

> Ah.  So you want a venue where you as a student can get a teacher
> disinvited to return.  That is exactly the kind of thing I am talking
> about with public education.  The kids basically run the schools.  Not
> to say that this doesn't happen in expensive prep schools either, but
> that is the beauty of private education.  I can take my kids and dollars
> to another school.  I can't do that in the public school system.

Sure you can.  You can put your kids through private school anyway.

--
Paul Johnson
Jabber: Because it's time to move forward  http://ursine.ca/Ursine:Jabber