Re: Reiser just bit me! (was: Comparison of filesystems)

On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 04:23:08PM -0400, Greg Folkert wrote:

> Upgrade it. You can just use a remount with -oconvert on the filesystem.
>
> Then you should be able to read the file.
>
> I experienced this problem with a named pipe into a file. I didn't
> realize it until I had already deleted and wanted to extract back out.
>
> I was saved by the fact that it was fixed by doing the FS convert to 3.6
> format.

Thanks - its nice to know there would have been a workaround if the
backup had been needed.

For now I have already reformatted with ext3, as it was only a scratch
filesystem. Having already spent a day getting to the bottom what was
actually causing the dump/restore failure, I decided that it was
easier and safer to just reformat.

If the driver had syslogged something identifying the problem it would
have been much easier and quicker to get to the bottom of this problem.

Regards,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com