Re: OT: Comparison of filesystems

Digby Tarvin wrote:

[snip]

I think I would prefer the decision to be based on time elapsed since
the last check - perhaps with a nag message so that I have the option
to defer till next time if I am short of time or battery power.
Of course that still only helps if you do reboot occasionally.

This actually makes a lot of sense.

I do try to keep as many of my filesystems as possible mounted read-only
(ideally everything but /var and /home) so I suppose I could have cron
run a regular fsck.

This also makes some sense, though not quite so much. Especially
on your laptop :-)

P.S. to include something relevent to the original thread, I have
use both Reiserfs and Ext3, and have never found enough performance
or reliability difference to worry about - so for me the main
advantges of each are:
  ext3     - more complere set of tools, such as dump/restore

IMO, this is the single most important issue with any
of these file systems. They are all good it seems. But the
additional support varies widely.

[snip]

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.