Re: Trouble with some X applications.

On Fri, 2006-04-28 at 21:03 +0200, Klaus Ethgen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After an upgrade of my system some days ago I found some (in words two)
> programms not working. The first ist gkrellm and the second is
> nvidia-settings.
>
> The effect is that when I try to start them they will hang. strace says
> it hangs in a rt_sigsuspend()-systemcall.
>
> As I have no exactely clou what did trigger this bug I whanna ask here.

Don't ask here.  Ask on debian-user (or debian-user-german, if it
exists), as this is where the question belongs.  The people there can
help you with some tricks to determine what specifically is not working,
and why.

> My system configuration:
> Dist: sid (In fact the error is not in etch)
> Kernel: 2.4.32 Vanilla with some patches.

Good luck using a 2.4 kernel.  I understand that after etch, glibc 2.4
will be uploaded.  IIRC, glibc 2.4 removes support for LinuxThreads, so
only NPTL (which requires Linux 2.6) will work.  Make the upgrade now,
and save yourself a lot of headaches (of which this might be one).

> Newest updates installed
>
> I suggest it has anythink to do with the new xorg as it happens on two
> independing software. But which of the xorg components???

When you follow up to -user, you should show the relevant sections of
dpkg.log, so that people know what packages could have caused the
problem.

> Did someone else has the same problemes?

May I point you to the following page:

Specifically, the following sections:

Before You Ask
Choose your forum carefully
As a second step, use project mailing lists
Be precise and informative about your problem
Describe the problem's symptoms, not your guesses
Describe your problem's symptoms in chronological order

HAND.