Re: how to test Ethernet connection

Jon Dowland wrote:
At 1146138645 past the epoch, Mike McCarty wrote:

Eh? I think not. Even a cheap crimping tool will cost
about $30 USD. Cheaper by far to buy a router or switch (I
wouldn't get a hub; a router is preferable to a switch)
with 4 or more ports for $40 USD, and then be expandable.

You don't need a crimper to rewire a cable. And if you did,
$30 is still cheaper than $40 (and a lot more than I paid
for mine, too). if your aim is to be expandable, fine: my
advice was to save money in the short-term, nothing more.

What technique do you use to rewire a cable without a
crimping tool? Do you cut the cable and re-solder/insulate
the connections of the wires? My cables all have non-removable
pins.

Back in the bad old days, it was common to have cross over
adapters for RS232 equipment. But I can't recall having
seen a cross over adapter for the 100 Base T stuff.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.