Re: New user need some help

On Thursday 27 April 2006 02:47, Magnus Therning wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 05:57:41AM +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> >On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 10:46:52PM -0400, Terry wrote:
> >> I just loaded my first Linux machine.  It laoded well and I am able to
> >> log on with no problem.  My question is how do I get the GUI up after I
> >> log on?  All I get is the prompt.
> >>
> >> Terry
> >
> >As root,
> >
> >apt-get install x-window-system kde kdm
>
> I simply have to answer this.
>
> The command line above is clearly not right, it should of course say:
>
>  apt-get install x-window-system gnome gdm

um, you're almost got it. really it should have been:

apt-get install emacs21

after all, once you're done loading the BIOS that is linux you do want a
*real* OS, don't you?

> /M
>
> P.S.
> For the original poster, who might be just a little confused by this,
> I'd suggest first trying the live CDs from Knoppix[1] and Ubuntu[2]. If
> you like the former then go with Terry's suggestion, if you like the
> latter (which would indicate you're an intelligent and sane person)
> you'd go with my suggestion.

intelligence and sanity are mutually exclusive. :P

> 1. http://knoppix.org/
> 2. http://www.ubuntu.com/ (download the live CD!)

PS: i'm only kidding. i so use kde. use gnome too. which reminds me, whatever
happened to sawfish?

--

anoop aryal
aaryal@foresightint.com