Re: Social Contract

On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 09:31:19PM -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
> hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> >On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 03:53:25PM -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
> >
> >There are employers who tolerate this kind of thing, even encourage it
> >to a limited extent.  I've spoke to managers who tell me they'd rather
>
> Umm, I haven't worked for any which *encourage* this sort of thing,
> though many will wink at it. Some agressively pursue this sort of
> thing. For most, I think, it depends on the manager.

"Old" HP had a policy that their engineers could take components from
the production line, borrow test equipment and so on. The stipulation
was that they had to build something with it or prove they'd used it
usefully. The result was that they got better, more motivated, more
inventive engineers who knew how to build equipment - and what failed
in practice (and also the inevitable how _not_ to build equipment/exceed
engineering tolerances etc. etc.  :) ).

That's worth it - but I don't know many organisations that have faith
in their staff's abilities to that extent.

Andy