rootstrap failures (fwd)

I'm trying to use rootstrap 0.3.21-1 on Debian testing to create a UML
instance. However, I consistently get the following errors:

    Using rootstrap module network from:
	    /usr/lib/rootstrap/modules/network
    modprobe: FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.16/modules.dep: No such file or directory

    netmask: error fetching interface information: Device not found
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/lib/rootstrap/builder", line 66, in ?
	dispatch(module, modulevars)
      File "/usr/lib/rootstrap/builder", line 44, in dispatch
	raise "rootstrap: Module '%s' failed, status: %d" % (module,status)
    rootstrap: Module 'network' failed, status: 1

My best guess is that the problem is that:

    /lib/modules/2.6.16/modules.dep

doesn't exist, although /usr/lib/uml/modules/2.6.16/modules.dep does.
Can anyone advise?

--
Re-Interpreting Historic Miracles with SED #141: %s/water/wine/g