Re: OT: From Linux switch Windows 98 partition by OpenBSD

On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 19:24 +0100, Digby Tarvin wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 11:15:05AM -0300, Fernando Augusto Bender wrote:
> > Fellows,
> >
> > This is my current fstab.
> >
> > myself@debian:~$ cat /etc/fstab
> > # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
> > #
> > proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
> > /dev/hda4       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0
> > 1
> > /dev/hda6       /home           ext3    defaults        0       2
> > /dev/hda5       /opt            ext3    defaults        0       2
> > /dev/hda7       /usr            ext3    defaults        0       2
> > /dev/hda1       /windows        vfat    defaults        0       2
> > /dev/hda2       none            swap    sw              0       0
> > /dev/hdb        /media/cdrom0   iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0
> >
> > I would like to wipe out the windows partition, and prepare a openbsd
> > one, in order to starting dealing with it on a dual boot basis.
> >
> > I was reading internet gathered information, but I've found that BSD has
> > its own way to write in MBR. So I stopped in order not to damage my
> > installed system.
> >
> > Of course I am able to burn a CD with the images and do it.
> >
> > I just would feel much better if I could be able to do it from Linux
> > without any cd burning. Just the net and the linux.
> >
> > It would be such a meaningful victory.
> >
> > I ask for help!
>
> Most open source system installers have an option to leave the MBR
> untouched and put the boot code on a specific partition.
>
> Then you just need to configure whatever boot code you currently have in
> your MBR to offer running the boot code in that partition as an option.
>
> For example, if you are using grub, you would just have:
> title           BSD Partition
> root            (hd0,0)
> savedefault
> makeactive
> chainloader     +1
>
> Which should be about the same as what you currently have to boot windows.
>
> You can also make sure that you install grub in /dev/hda4 so that if
> anything does stomp on the MBR you will be able to be able to use
> a similar function in the new bootloader to get back to your Linux
> system.
>
> Another option which I sometimes use it to use a completely self
> contained MBR program (which came with BSD/OS) which just allows
> you to choose one or the primary partitions to boot from, and
> does not rely on information in any other partition the way
> grub does. Then I can choose between grub or some other bootloader
> on each boot, and that bootloader then can be used to select the
> operating system I want to use..
>
> Worst case if something goes wrong with installation of the boot code
> is that you will need to boot of your Debian install CD and use that
> to re-install grub in the MBR.
>
> Regards,
> DigbyT
> [...]

Fellow,

Thank you for your advices.

Besides that, I also need to format the current windows partition in a
openbsd one.

Then to download the bsd.rd and and follow the procedures.

I don't know if using just

# mkfs -t sysv /dev/hda1

would be enough for creating the partition.

Then, with success i nthis step, I guess it is time to mount the
partition and get proper files (openbsd bsd.rd).

Carpe diem!

--
Ms. Eng. Fernando Augusto Bender
Pesquisador em Controle Automático

Use Linux: http://www.debian.org

Comer, beber e amar. O resto não vale um níquel.
Lord Byron