Re: OT: From Linux switch Windows 98 partition by OpenBSD

On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 11:15:05AM -0300, Fernando Augusto Bender wrote:
> Fellows,
>
> This is my current fstab.
>
> myself@debian:~$ cat /etc/fstab
> # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
> #
> proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
> /dev/hda4       /               ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0
> 1
> /dev/hda6       /home           ext3    defaults        0       2
> /dev/hda5       /opt            ext3    defaults        0       2
> /dev/hda7       /usr            ext3    defaults        0       2
> /dev/hda1       /windows        vfat    defaults        0       2
> /dev/hda2       none            swap    sw              0       0
> /dev/hdb        /media/cdrom0   iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0
>
> I would like to wipe out the windows partition, and prepare a openbsd
> one, in order to starting dealing with it on a dual boot basis.
>
> I was reading internet gathered information, but I've found that BSD has
> its own way to write in MBR. So I stopped in order not to damage my
> installed system.
>
> Of course I am able to burn a CD with the images and do it.
>
> I just would feel much better if I could be able to do it from Linux
> without any cd burning. Just the net and the linux.
>
> It would be such a meaningful victory.
>
> I ask for help!

Most open source system installers have an option to leave the MBR
untouched and put the boot code on a specific partition.

Then you just need to configure whatever boot code you currently have in
your MBR to offer running the boot code in that partition as an option.

For example, if you are using grub, you would just have:
title           BSD Partition
root            (hd0,0)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader     +1

Which should be about the same as what you currently have to boot windows.

You can also make sure that you install grub in /dev/hda4 so that if
anything does stomp on the MBR you will be able to be able to use
a similar function in the new bootloader to get back to your Linux
system.

Another option which I sometimes use it to use a completely self
contained MBR program (which came with BSD/OS) which just allows
you to choose one or the primary partitions to boot from, and
does not rely on information in any other partition the way
grub does. Then I can choose between grub or some other bootloader
on each boot, and that bootloader then can be used to select the
operating system I want to use..

Worst case if something goes wrong with installation of the boot code
is that you will need to boot of your Debian install CD and use that
to re-install grub in the MBR.

Regards,
DigbyT
http://www.digbyt.com