Re: setting up an encrypted filesystem..

Digby Tarvin wrote:

However it leads me on to another related question..

After the install (Etch, netinstall) the /etc/modules file
contained the following:
  # /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
  #
  # This file contains the names of kernel modules that should be loaded
  # at boot time, one per line. Lines beginning with "#" are ignored.
ide-cd.load
  ide-disk.load
  ide-generic.load
  psmouse.load
  sbp2.load

But I have no idea why the '.load' suffixes - and it would appear
that the system doesn't know either, because all it does is produce
a series of 'FATAL' messages on the console during boot...

Does anyone know of a reason for this? Or is this something that should
go into a bug report to the install people?

Check the current bug reports against the installer (I think it is a pseudo-package). If it is not already reported, consider filing a detailed bug report. What they likely want to know is:

- How exactly you installed (e.g., what options you chose, etc)
- What config changes you made after install
- What version of the d-i (e.g., release number or dailiy build)
- Exact error messages you receive on boot

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto