setting up an encrypted filesystem..

I've been looking at mechanism for setting up an encrypted filesystem
under Etch, and I have the basics working as follows:
a. Initial Setup
	1. apt-get install cryptosetup
	2. modprobe dm-mod
	3. cryptsetup -y create chda14 /dev/hda14
	4. mkfs -t ext3 /dev/mapper/chda14
	5. mkdir /home2
	6. mount /dev/mapper/chda14 /home2
b. Subsequent activation
	1. modprobe dm-mod
	2. cryptsetup create chda14 /dev/hda14
	3. mount /dev/mapper/chda14 /home2

Now I want to streamline things so that all I have to do is run
	/etc/init.d/cryptdisks

I have added the line
	chda14 /dev/hda14
to /etc/crypttab, and the line
	/dev/mapper/chda14 /home2       ext3    defaults,noauto 0       1
to /etc/fstab.

However it seems that I need to add an entry to /etc/modprobe.d in
order to get the device mapper module loaded. Or should it be
/etc/modules.conf or /etc/modules that I edit?

Is this expected behavior - should I not have expected that
installing cryptosetup to have done this?

Is there anything else I need to do?

I am using the 2.6.15-1-686 kernel.

Thanks,
DigbyT