Text File Prints at Physical Page Boundary

I am running Sarge stable and have installed a LaserJet 4200n printer
as an HP Jetdirect network printer using the included Laserjet 4200
Postscript driver.  When I print a test page, the Ximian test page
prints correctly.  The dotted lines which are supposed to be 1/4 and
1/2 of an inch from the physical page boundary are positioned
correctly.  Printing from Mozilla and Abiword also appears to work.

My problem is I want to print a plain text file from the command line,
but when I give the command lpr <file> or lp <file> the output starts
at the physical page boundary,   and since the printer can't print to
the physical page boundary, some of the output is cut off.   I've
always just used lpr to print text files under Unix, but am new to
Debian.  Is there another way to print text files with an appropriate
margin?  Thanks.

Gil