Re: Fortune file!

Paul Johnson wrote:
On Monday 24 April 2006 17:54, Marc Shapiro wrote:

I, also, live in Aloha, only about 3 miles from the 'center of the
universe'.  I frequently pass within site of OSDL when I am out
shopping.  I wonder how many of us on this list are in the immediate local?

I don't know. It would be interesting to get a Portland-area Debianista meet-up and key-signing party.
Don't know about Debianistas specifically, but there are a couple of LUGs in the area:

Portland:
http://www.pdxlinux.org/
http://www.pdxlug.org/

Beaverton:
http://www.bluegroup.org/
(link is dead, at least for me, but I'm pretty sure the group is still active)

And more elsewhere in Oregon (Eugene, Tillamook, Willamette Valley, etc.) and southern Washington. (Never mind those subversives in the Seattle area trying to undermine Microsoft on its home turf.)

If we do get a meet-up going, please not in Aloha, that's too close to Beaverton, and I'm still not over the fact Beaverton Police gave me a speeding ticket on Allen Blvd by Beaverton Christian Church the same day they refused to investigate someone getting shot to death a few hours later on the same spot behind my house they cited me for going 31 in a 30 on a bicycle. They're also too spineless to stop the drug dealing in front of Beaverton High School when classes let out (they'll watch it happen in plain sight right in front of them in their siezed-from-a-drug-dealer DARE car and do nothing). Beaverton's not safe and there is no (useful) police in that city (and I used to live at MLK and Killingsworth Street in Portland!); I feel Linus may have moved there for the same reason he moved to California: Didn't realize it's not the part of the [country|state] you ever want to live for any income or length of time before he got there.

And yet, according to today's Oregonian, Beaverton has the fastest-growing school district in the state, while enrollment in Portland's public schools continues to decline.

--
Michael M. ++ Portland, OR ++ USA
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." --S. Jackson