Re: Gnome/KDE resources

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 03:14:20PM -0700, Curtis Vaughan wrote:

> On 25.04.2006, at 15:11, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
>
> >Curtis Vaughan wrote:
> >>I remember sometime at the end of last year reading that KDE uses
> >>less
> >>resources than Gnome. After reading that I had to install linux
> >>on an
> >>older machine for someone, so I put KDE on it. It worked OK.
> >>
> >>Now I get the latest Linux Journal and they say in there than Gnome
> >>uses less resources.
> >>I tried to remember what it was that I had read about KDE and
> >>began  to
> >>think, well maybe it wasn't that KDE used less resources overall  but
> >>that it used less ROM or something. Doesn't matter. My question  then
> >>is, given an older machine that KDE or Gnome can run on, which
> >>should I
> >>install to get better performance?
> >>
> >>Thanks!
> >>
> >>Curtis

FWIW, I think the only way to really tell for YOUR situation is to put
them both on and configure them for your system and uses and then see
which one you like better, or performs better or whatever. Different
aspects of the two environments surely have different levels of
efficiency and so without knowing exactly what you want, it would be
difficult for anyone else to tell you what is better.

Further, IMO, a lot of the difference in performance is
perception. For example, many people think that windows XP was a
faster boot than previous versions because it hit the login screen
pretty quickly when all they had done was deferred portions of the
better performance, but was really a red herring.

I remember the first time I wrote something to floppy in linux (pretty
recently actually) I thought it was REALLY fast as the command line
popped right back. Then a few seconds later it synced and I could see
that it wasn't any faster than any other floppy writes I've seen over
the years. The point is, it depends on what your criteria are for
performance. Does it start the process and return control right away,
but then take longer to complete the process? Does it start and run
the process at higher priority and return control after it has
completed? or some combination?

Then there are memory issues. I've found gterm to be a hog and have
dumped it for aterm and am happier. much less swapping. I'm sure you
can find numbers for how much ram each one uses in its base
configuration, but how many people operate at a base configuration?

In other words, IMVHO, its a very complex issue and the comparison is
not really valid in a objective sense. try them out and see which
works for you.

that said apt-cache says that gnome (package desktop-base) is smaller
installed size than kdebase-bin. but what does that really mean?