Re: Performance issue on Stable

Sorry, I meant to postpone this message in mutt and instead sent it.

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 07:20:41AM -0700, Bill Moseley wrote:
> This is a quite vague at this point, but I'm looking idea on how to
> track down performance problems.
>
> We moved an application from a development machine to a client's
> managed server an noticed it running quite a bit slower.  Simple
> requests[1] take about three to five times longer.  And this happens
> when the load average is above on on the fast machine and load
> average is is < 0.1 on the client's server.
>
> I'd like to provide the ISP with more info than "It's running slow" so
> I'm wondering what tools to use to compare these two machines.
>
> Some of the basic specs are:
>
>                 Development         Client's Server
>                 ---------------     ----------------------
>     CPU         Athlon XP1800+      Xeon
>     Mhz         1150.591            1793.936
>     cache       256KB               512KB
>     bogomips    2260.99             3565.15
>     RAM         1GB                 .5GB
>     OS          Deb Unstable        Deb Sarge
>     Kernel      2.6.6               2.4.28
>     Tasks       115                 214
>     fs          xfs atime           ext3 noatime, nodiratime
>
> It seem

It seems to be CPU.  Maybe the machine is taxed on the number of
processes.  What I notice is the machine runs at a low load average,
but any small takes makes the CPU load jump.

Anyway, just looking for a few recommendations on what you would do
when trying to track down performance issues.